Saturday, 24 September 2016

Norvich Hospital, Kathmandu

Shock ,horror and utter disbelief ,I was hospitalised  recently. It was a life changing experience , one not to be repeated.

Having had a busy time prior to leaving UK, I was aware that my energy reserve was low. Then naively I thought that the pace in Kathmandu will be easier. I  will have a month to do all the visiting and shopping of winter clothings x40 etc. I did not legislate against the  fact that  my reserve is low, I am a year older  and that supply create  demand resulting more people wanting to see me/ KIKN. My feet did not touch the ground from the time I landed in Kathmandu .The rest was history.

It started with the odd giddy  spells which I experienced  from time to time. I paid no attention to it. I thought it was just a case of aging. Older people sometimes suffer from that, though I did not see myself in that category. Me ? old? never !­čś« And so I  carried on....

10 days later, I was admitted  to the top private hospital with severe  vomiting and  vertigo. I resisted admission initially, but became so weak that I was wheel chaired into A&E the next morning. I was not aware nor care about the excellent medical care I was receiving. I was drifting in and out of consciousness   between bouts of severe vomiting..  My system was rejecting any food or fluid. I was at a very very low ebb.

Intravenous fluids was set up with multi vitamins and minerals added to  it.. In the first few days, I had to be supported on both sides to get off the bed to use the bathroom.I think I broke personal record for not washing my hair for a week! It was a sight to behold, each time I looked at myself in the mirror while washing my hands following a bathroom visit

At my lowest point, I did wonder if I would get back to UK in one piece or in ashes.I thought of my family and friends who are all so far away, bitterly blaming myself to end up in that  situation. I could not tolerate anything orally for about 3 days bar the Iv tube feedin.Thank god for the tube feeding... I was very weak but had no desire to eat.

It was through Uma's gentle insistence and bullying that I forced myself to have my first piece of toast.It tasted like cardboard, dry and floury,  but the hot black tea helped it down.   That was the crunch point. And I did not look back after that.The thing which both surprised and reassured me is the  power of recovery. I am so relieved that I am slowly  getting back to normal before  flying back to UK at the end of the month.

It was   extreme exhaustion which caused the Benign Positional Vertigo, the official diagnosis which the doctor came to , having undergone extensive investigations and tests with negative findings. I suppose I should  be grateful for that.

No comments: