Friday 27 August 2010

The Kindness and Generosity of Folks

As most of the sponsors and donors will know, that I have been in this country far too long- all 42 years of it! Imagine the untold shock waves I experienced when I became an OAP recently. However,I have never lost touch with some of the school friends ( from the early 60s ) whenever I went back to Malaysia to visit my family.



During my recent visit, I met up with 2 of them. We are all of a similar vintage. We started to talk about the various way we choose to spend our leisure time . Of course I shared with them my pet subject- Helping the children in Nepal to have better life chances. One of them asked about details of the fund raising activities I have done.I could tell she was suitably impressed, but thought no more about it .When I met her again on a different occasion, she said she was interested to help.Well, the rest is history .



She has sent me an amount which equates to sponsoring 4 plus children. However, she does not want to sponsor a specific child. She wants me to use my discretion to spend the money on the children for whatever needs they may have. It is very humbling to be entrusted with so much money(by one person). I have always put great faith in human nature, but this grand gesture surpassed even my wildest expectations. Sponsors, you can log on the Nat West account and see for yourself the donations that have come in. Or please wait for my year end account when I return from Kathmandu



I have sponsors who are also sending me donations towards purchasing things for the children. One of John's cousins saved £200 from her housekeeping since last autumn. Again I was gob smacked. My dentist, a young Australian girl, gave me £30 when I had my last appointment with her . In addition, all the new sponsors, (whom I have brow beaten into submission, ha ha only joking ) have come on board with very positive vibes. Thank you everyone. You have made me so humbled. I am indeed very privileged to be able to take the help and support to the children on your behalf.

John and I are thinking hard on how the children can benefit from this unexpectedly large donation with no strings attached. A second computer for Uma's children is a must.A table for studying for each of the new children will be essential.With daily power cuts lasting between 3 to 6 hours, a solar light/torch/lamp will be crucial for these children to continue to study in the evenings.Its no good buying battery operated ones, because there will not be the money to renew them. Furthermore, Kathmandu is very sunny and warm even in winter. It sits in a valley -maybe at 2,000metres above sea level . Its the evenings when the temperature tends to drop quite drastically. So, solar operated lamp/light/torch will be ideal. John and I will try the big camping shop in Croydon to see if they stock them.

Donors and sponsors, if you happen to read this and have ideas on what will benefit the children, please email me before or after my trip next friday. Obviously there are things which will be better purchased here and vice versa

No comments: